RefractedLight

RefractedLight

Hi,  I'm Dani!  And I read, love, and blog about YA books!

The Faerie War
Rachel Morgan
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas
Endless
Amanda Gray
Progress: 62 %

The Vespertine

The Vespertine - Saundra Mitchell In the summer of 1889, 16 year old Amelia is sent to live with the Stewart family in Baltimore where she is to meet influential, respectable people and to make a good match to secure her future. Instead Amelia meets the intriguing Nathaniel, a struggling artist, and unwittingly creates all kind of trouble for her new friends when she discovers that she possesses the ability to glimpse the future. "The Vespertine" is endearing as it is heartrending and written in a classical style that evokes the Victorian era. Though at times a little verbose, I loved that the period was upheld in this way. Amelia is an interesting character; naive, at times selfish and petulant, yet she has a good heart, a strength of will, and a lovely sense of humor. I would've liked to see romance built a little more gradually. There was a little bit of insta-love going on and although I loved the romance in this book, I would've like a bit more substance. A dark, witty, tragic, dangerous and strangely hopeful book.