RefractedLight

RefractedLight

Hi,  I'm Dani!  And I read, love, and blog about YA books!

The Faerie War
Rachel Morgan
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas
Endless
Amanda Gray
Progress: 62 %

Starcrossed: Perigee (Starcrossed, #1)

Starcrossed: Perigee (Starcrossed, #1) - Tracey Lee Campbell Wow. Tracey Lee Campbell has created an incredible, fast-paced, action-packed, romance-filled sci-fi tale in Starcrossed: Perigee. After a disturbing incident from her youth involving her mother, Lucy is passed around from relative to relative until she finally finds a home with her rancher uncle and his family. A few weeks before her high school graduation, Lucy meets Aric, a boy who is definitely more than he seems, and finds herself swept up into a world of conspiracy, lies, unearthly beings and shocking truths about the reality of her world.Things I loved about this book:- The relationship between Aric and Lucy, it was so sweet, real and true. - The scope of this book. A lot of paranormal YA fiction deal with epic life and death scenarios, battles between good and evil and the sometimes morally gray, but oftentimes you only get a view from the main character's microcosm and the sense that the outcomes effect a larger group of people just doesn't translate well. In "Perigee" you Campbell definitely portrays that sense of extreme urgency, and you are left without a shadow of a doubt that the stakes are very high for everybody.- I love books that portray a journey, whether it be a flight for safety, a quest; where the characters are going places and doing things towards a larger goal. It moves the book along, it lends that urgency and purpose a story like this requires.- The "bad guys" were super scary, all of them. Every time one of them showed up I just may have shuddered. Campbell's descriptions make you hope you never encounter these creatures/people....ever.- The universe the author has created is extremely interesting and I hope that we get to explore it more completely in subsequent books.- I loved (and I mean loved) that the US government finally shows up in a YA paranormal/sci fi book. For all the shenanigans that go on in these genres, the government is curiously absent from most stories and consequences. I think their presence lends a certain credibility to the story.So yes, I really did like this book but there were just a few things that bugged me:- The book takes place somewhere in the United States, but Campbell, an Australian, uses phrasing and terms that are decidedly not American. Not that that's a huge deal but it does jar you out of the story from time to time, as American girls don't normally refer to their sneakers as trainers, lorries are trucks, etc.- I wished for a little more pro-activeness from the protagonists toward the "bad guys", but I do understand that this is only the first act of a larger story and as an introduction it stands on it's own well. I think I was hoping for a little bit more crazy, Sarah Connor-type behavior, but then Sarah Connor wasn't really Sarah Connor at the beginning of her story either.- I wish that the supporting cast had been developed a little more, they felt a bit one-dimensional.Overall, this book was awesome. Campbell is definitely an indie author to watch and I'll definitely be on the lookout for the next Starcrossed book!